365- Who Put That There?
On the beach by the Cape May lighthouse is a cement structure that looks like it just doesn’t belong. This bunker, designed and built by the Army Corp of Engineers, was part of the Harbor Defense Project of 1942. It contained heavy artillery and was manned by the naval forces who spent hours on end scanning the horizon for enemy surface ships and submarines. In fact, a German U-Boat commander surrendered his vessel just off the coast of Cape May at the end of World War Two.